This easy shortbread recipe is quick and simple to prepare for friends coming round for afternoon tea. This old family shortbread recipe melts in the mouth and is a great alternative for scones as we celebrate the New Year here in Scotland.
We would heartily recommend doubling the quantity to make two batches.
- 6 oz / 170 grams plain flour
- 2 oz / 56 grams caster sugar
- 4 oz / 113 grams softened butter
- Caster sugar for sprinkling on top
- Pre heat oven to 300oF, 1500 C, Gas mark 2
- Sift flour and sugar
- Add butter and mix to form a dough
- Roll out the dough to approximately 5cm, shape into a round, pinch the edges and prick with a fork
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or less, if using a fan assisted oven
- Cut into triangles when still warm and sprinkle with caster sugar
Makes 16 portions – approximately.
Would you like to share your own favourite recipes on Girls Afternoon Tea? If so, send us an email to email@example.com. We’d love to feature you with a photo or a link back to your own website and share across our social media platforms.
Don’t forget to browse our gorgeous venues for afternoon tea in the UK and perhaps get one or two ideas of delicious sweet treats that you might be able to make yourself.