Smoked Salmon Blinis Recipe
The smoked salmon blinis recipe below should make 24 small-medium sized servings.
Smoked Salmon Blinis Recipe Ingredients
225g/8oz whole wheat flour
225g/8oz plain flour
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
40g/½ oz fresh yeast
2 tsps caster sugar
700ml/1 pint, 5 fl oz warm milk
1 tbsp melted butter
vegetable oil for frying
*Pushed for time? You can buy ready-made blinis from most supermarkets.
150g/5oz cream cheese
150g/5oz smoked salmon
6 slices of cucumber (optional)
Small portion of fresh dill
- Sift all the flour and salt in a bowl and mix.
- Make a small well in the middle of the mixture and add the two whole eggs and ONE of the egg whites. Mix together to make a thick paste.
- In a separate bowl add the yeast, sugar and milk, mix and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Now slowly pour the yeast mixture into the flour and egg mixture, whisking all the time until it resembles a smooth batter.
- Add the melted butter and mix.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm environment for an hour.
- Whisk the remaining egg white and add to the mixture prior to cooking.
- To cook, heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Dollop the batter into the frying pan in small circles and cook until you see bubbles appearing on the surface.
- Turn the mixture and cook on the other side. Continue until you have used up all the batter.
Smoked Salmon Blinis Topping
Spoon the cream cheese over the blini, add a slice of smoked salmon followed by a slice of cucumber and decorate with the fresh dill.
Alternative smoked salmon toppings:
As an alternative to smoked salmon why not try chilli prawns, sashimi of tuna, carpaccio of beef with horse radish or caviar for a luxury touch.